The Dangerously Charming Burger

Roberto Gongora, Student Contributor

Food is something that we all can relate, we eat it when we’re hungry, when we’re sad, and when we want to share something with our friends and families. Food has a unique way of expressing itself, it’s art that you can eat, colors you can smell, and music you can taste. Today I had a cheeseburger in the most anticipating Shake Shack. A man named Danny Meyer founded Shake Shack in 2004, he first started out at in Madison Square Garden as a little hot dog cart, supporting the Madison Square Park Conservancy’s first art installation. In the beginning, he had never thought about of making a chain. But after sales were increasing, he knew that it was time to expand, he has over 136 locations and ever since then it has been a must eatery on the East Coast and West Coast.

There has been controversy about Shake Shack being a copycat of In-n-Out. But I feel that it is original with its menu and atmosphere. If you’re eating at In-n-Out, it’s normally to grab a bite to eat, talk for a few minutes and leave. But with Shake Shack it’s completely different, the whole experience is different, it feels like a place to create fond memories with your friends and families. When you walk in, you are immediately hit with a series of smells and sounds that don’t overwhelm you, but instead, feels like you walk on your mom cooking in the kitchen. There are games to play when you’re done with your meal, games that actually are bragging rights in disguise. The staff were friendly with their pearly white smiles, made me feel more comfortable than in any fast food place.

I had decided to get the SmokeShack, a Cheeseburger topped with all-natural applewood smoked bacon, chopped cherry pepper, and ShackSauce. The ShackSauce is their signature sauce that is added to the burger, it’s quite nice and pleasant with hints of mayo, mustard and something tangy. It is a sweet, sour, and spicy sauce that lingers in your mouth, with a gentleness effect and not overwhelmingly powerful. The ‘Shroom Burger, which is a crispy-fried portobello mushroom filled with melted muenster and cheddar cheeses, topped with lettuce, tomato, and the tangy ShackSauce. The Chicken Dog that’s filled with the perfect blend of chicken, apples, and sage. Finished with Chili Cheese Fries, Bacon Cheese Fries, Cheese Fries, and I drank Stumptown Cold Brew Coffee with the Mint Cookies and Cream.

The SmokeShake was the perfect blend of spicy and sweet, the bell peppers were juicy and crisp, the smokiness of the bacon was cut beautifully with the sweetness of the potato buns. The ‘Shroom Burger was fried perfectly and was oozing with just the right amount of cheese, and the fresh tomato acted like a palate cleanser and didn’t leave the mouth all oily and gross. The Chicken Dog was kind of a letdown, it was cooked nicely and was plain, unlike all the other hot dogs on the menu that came with toppings, but was nice and tenderly juicy. The fries were the fry till they were crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, the chili wasn’t too heavy or too light just the right amount of spices and was disgustingly delicious. The cheese and bacon was already a match made in heaven, the cheese wasn’t extremely thick and was instead liquid gold that warmed the soul. I had the most pleasant experience of eating at Shake Shack, everything was excellent the service, the way it felt like everything was at peace for a while. I would gladly return, hungry for more.

.

Shake Shack – 2171 Rosecrans Ave, El Segundo, CA 90245. (424) 397-2170. https://www.shakeshack.com, Opening hours All Day – 11AM-11PM. $5-10 for main courses and side. V, MC or cash. Parking: Lot or Street (watch for parking restrictions on adjacent streets).