• May 2Fire and Ice Dance Showcase! Blackbox Theater, May 17

• May 2FREE DVC Star Wars Movie Night! May 4!

• April 20Seniors: Return your PROM CONTRACTS by MAY 11!

With the Recent Government Shutdown, Is There Any Hope for DACA Recipients?

Photo+provided+by+HRW+Student+Task+force.+For+more+information+Deepti+Immaraju++the+senior+english+teacher+%28DVC%29+would+be+more+than+welcome+to+provide+information.+
Photo provided by HRW Student Task force. For more information Deepti Immaraju  the senior english teacher (DVC) would be more than welcome to provide information.

Photo provided by HRW Student Task force. For more information Deepti Immaraju the senior english teacher (DVC) would be more than welcome to provide information.

Rocio Handal Rodriguez, Humans of DVC Editor

For 72 hours the United States had a government shutdown where every employee went without pay.

The shutdown was due to a disagreement between the Democrats and Republicans in the Senate on the issue of placing DACA in the new government budget that was supposed to be approved due to the upcoming expiration of the previous bill.

The Democrats refused to vote on the bill unless the Republicans approved the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), a program that provides low-cost health coverage to children with families who earn too much in order to qualify for Medicaid and the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), an executive order that gives legal status to individuals who arrived to the United States as children.

The Republican party remained headstrong although they were willing to negotiate with CHIP but not DACA, which gave cause for the government to shut down.

On September 5th, 2017, the Trump administration announced that the DACA program would be canceled, causing the public to voice their opinions and display their strong and negative reactions to the news. There have been numerous marches along with a multitude of organizations consistently offering their assistance to defend the program. DACA recipients have been fighting for their right to stay in the country and Da Vinci Communications (DVC) is not far behind.

Geovani Espinoza, a sophomore at DVC and creator of the Student Task Force Club (STF),  mentions that his intentions for the creation of the club were to educate people on global issues.

¨DACA is a great program because it allows undocumented immigrants the opportunity to work and get things like driver’s licenses and library cards that most people take for granted,¨ Espinoza remarked his thoughts on the DACA program.

Danielle Jauregui, a sophomore at Da Vinci Design, and member of the TSF at DVC, said she joined TSF because “I saw the difference in meeting other people and how it gave them a sense of community and then we all got together and we started talking about our ideas and how to make the world a better place.”

She continued to comment on DACA about how “I fail to see how it imposes on the so-called American dream or the constitution for this country. If anything it strengthens the American dream.”

While teenagers are getting involved in a variety of ways, outside community members are also doing all they can in order to help the people who have been affected.

For many DACA recipients, it has been “an unexpected and unwelcome rollercoaster. It seems like there is something different in the news almost once a week. The future for a lot of these young persons, just unclear and it’s at risk its very uneasy and stressful time” mentioned Luis Alberto Jaquez, an immigration attorney.

The government had another shutdown last night, the night of February 8th to the morning of February 9th, which brings no more stability to the Dreamers since said shutdown was, once again, over the matter of DACA and the looming trillion dollar deficit, the amount of which the budget is too small.

“The best scenario would be for Congress to finally do its job and make a permanent legislation that would give these deserving people the chance to live and work in this country as Americans,” Jaquez elaborated.

The new budget is a temporary solution to a much larger issue that affects too many lives to stall an active decision. There was a short-term agreement reached to give the government an extra six weeks to come up with a budget that the parties can agree on. If Congress cannot come to a long-term agreement by then, it seems as if the government could have another shutdown by March and have the DACA recipients on their toes until then.

Many DACA recipients have arrived in this country when they were toddlers and didn’t have the free will to decide whether or not to come into the country. “They’ve grown up feeling and looking like Americans all their lives except their documentation doesn’t say they are Americans so Congress should come up with a solution for the young people have done well and studied, have worked, and have so much to contribute to our country, to our society; that would be the best scenario,” Jaquez demonstrated his support towards the dreamers.

800,000 people are living in a limbo where they don’t know if they will be able to stay in the country where they have lived for so many years. Whether people are being personally affected by the matter or they have someone who is being affected by it, many communities are showing their support towards the DACA. Whether it is adults who have been involved for many years in politics or high school students like the ones in the Da Vinci schools, they are doing what they can to help those in need and supporting them with hope.

As the attorney, Luis Jaquez stated, “There is always hope. I hope it happens, they hope it happens.”

2 Responses to “With the Recent Government Shutdown, Is There Any Hope for DACA Recipients?”

1. Deepti Reim on February 9th, 2018 10:11 am

If you’re interested in joining Student Task Force (STF) and advocating for DACA recipients (and learn about other human rights issues around the world), join us in the Fishbowl on the DVC floor every Tuesday at 4PM!

[Reply]

2. Diego on February 9th, 2018 10:20 am

I definitely agree that Congress should do something about it because when Obama was president he changed a lot of peoples lives (800,000) knowing what he can do back then the economy grew a lot with its economic growth of money. It makes perfect sense to keep DACA because it can really expand the economy and help change undocumented immigrants to a better life.

[Reply]

• With the Recent Government Shutdown, Is There Any Hope for DACA Recipients?

DVC News

Accessibility Within Metro

DVC News

Welcoming Metro

DVC News

DVC At NACAC College Fair

DVC News

SENIOR CLASS OF 2018: COMMITMENT DAY

DVC News

Denim Day at DVC

DVC News

The Time Has Come

DVC News

You Want To Go Green? Well, Here’s How!

DVC News

The Drive You Feel

DVC News

March For Our Lives

DVC News

CD: The Foundation of DVC Culture?