As The Women’s March Reached New Heights, The Message Remains The Same

Current update of women marching and standing for their rights and equality.

Vanessa Hernandez, Staff Writer

In the early weeks of 2017 women across the globe marched in solidarity and fear. In fear of what our new elected leader would bring, in fear that we would go back to a time where a woman’s voice was forever unheard. Although the year is 2018, women are still marching to be heard, to show that they have a voice and time is up.

On January 21, 2017, millions of women all over the world took to the streets to make a glorious statement. The sounds of women, men, children, people of all different ages, racial backgrounds and ethnicities, chanting loudly. The stories of women being passed down, and the words, “I can’t move”,“Can we begin walking” were heard throughout the crowd. 2017’s march was by far the biggest in the history of women’s marches, and attendance was expected to continue to grow for every year that Trump is in office.

Kailie Mitchell, a teenager from San Francisco, attended the women’s march last year, she said, “I feel happy and empowered. The energy was like one I haven’t felt in so long.” Mitchell hadn’t experienced a march before, let alone a women’s march.

To add to her experience, Mitchell said, “You know, women are our generation. I am the next generation, which is weird to even say. People will soon rely on my generation, and if there was one thing I learned for sure at the march in 2017, it was that women, we can do anything.”

Trump’s first year as president created many eye-opening events. Dealing with his leadership was tough, the remarks and actions he made could not go unnoticed.

Andrea Barros, a student from NYU, has attended the women’s march for two years in a row now and expressed how it motivates her. “It’s a way to find my voice, to make it known that women are no longer afraid to speak up, we are stronger, stronger than ever,” said Barros.

Through the year of 2017, many events took place that allowed women to find their voice and use it to combat the degradation of other women. The events began with actor and model, Cara Delevingne, who shared her story on social media of being sexually harassed. It leads to  #METOO, a hashtag movement that went viral on Twitter, where millions of victims’ stories of sexual abuse were shared in solidarity.

Following #METOO, came the outing of Dr. Larry Nassar, formerly a highly respected gymnast doctor, who is now known as the sexual abuser to dozens of his patients. His sentencing was set at 40 – 175 years in prison in response to evidence of repeated and ongoing abuse of over 150 of his clients.

Slowly but surely women began to speak out, people began to take notice, and the wool was removed from the public’s eye.

TIME IS UP is a movement started by celebrities that acknowledges the women and men in the entertainment industry who have been sexually abused by individuals with power in the same industry. These celebrities coined the phrase “Time is Up” to combat the number of times they were shamed and shunned for trying to speak out about their sexual abuse.

Time is up indeed. Although this time around, women wouldn’t be marching in fear, it would be, because the time is up to stop being silent about physical abuse. On January 20, 2018, women, men and children gathered around the world, once again for the second annual women’s march with 4.2 million in attendance.

“I like to think that this year, we made history. Over 250,000 people attended in San Francisco, everyone I encountered shared a story. It was amazing, everyone knew who they were and where they belonged. Trump’s presidency wasn’t the big issue, it was women. Women are finally winning the game.”