• May 2Fire and Ice Dance Showcase! Blackbox Theater, May 17

• May 2FREE DVC Star Wars Movie Night! May 4!

• April 20Seniors: Return your PROM CONTRACTS by MAY 11!

Logan Paul Scandal Calls Public Review of YouTube Content

Photos provided by the youtube channels themselves and  the you tubers images in order to make this piece together. The uncensored content targeted for kids.

Photos provided by the youtube channels themselves and the you tubers images in order to make this piece together. The uncensored content targeted for kids.

Kaelen Tynes, Staff Writer

During the night before the new year, many people went online to celebrate by playing games like VRChat or watching a live stream of a New Year’s Eve event on services such as YouTube or Twitch. But as the new year approached Logan Paul, a famous YouTuber, uploaded a scene in his vlog that displayed a man found hanging in Aokigahara, a forest in Yamanashi Prefecture, Japan.

This event triggered various responses; most viewers took the situation to social media where they exclaimed their disgust towards Paul’s actions, others didn’t seem to take the event as solemnly. Youtubers that travel internationally or have an interest in Japanese culture definitely took offense to his vlog. Numerous YouTubers, such as Gaijin Goomba, have explained how much Japanese culture means to them. In Gaijin Goomba’s response video to Paul’s vlog , he thoroughly explains his life since he started living in Japan and how people like Logan Paul ruin his relationship with Japanese culture.

Mohamad Jesri, a junior at Da Vinci Communications High School (DVC), is a member of the creator community of YouTube. Youtubers are people who upload, produce, or appear in videos on a consistent basis on the site or have a band of fans known as subscribers. “I feel like, since they have millions of subscribers unlike me having a low amount, they have viewers who are little kids and they might get offended by or they might see stuff that they might not want to see,” said Jesri.

Youtube has especially had a surge of strange videos that are targeted towards younger viewers. Although the videos’ target audience is quite young, these live action or animated videos are filled with adult themes. These themes or content include violence, cheating in relationships, needles, blood and other unnerving matters. “I feel like YouTube should do a better job on their algorithm to see what’s a better solution for kids to be able to watch non-inappropriate videos,” Jesri added.

Other YouTubers such as Saberspark have made videos on this topic. In Saberspark’s video he explains how these strange videos have specific traits in their thumbnails that make them appealing to a child’s eye such as a familiar cartoon character with a bright background. Although these ‘children’ videos seem like the main concern on the site, there are still other forms of offensive content that haven’t been addressed. This type of content is known as offensive memes or “dank” memes. These memes normally have a following of people that some may refer to as “edgy meme teens.”

People online seem to have a habit of uploading offensive comments on social media. Raphael Vigil, a sophomore from DVC, is a YouTube user like the majority of people in the Da Vinci community.

Vigil refers to toxic commenters as “s***posters.” Most people who comment on YouTube videos just do it so that they can get likes on their response to the video or possibly something irrelevant they have to say. “They just try to get reactions out of people, the best way to stop them is just to ignore them,” said Vigil.

As of today, there are thousands of offensive meme videos on YouTube. These videos include a booming bass or high-pitched sounds that could break your speakers on low volume. The jokes presented in the memes are mainly about serious, often fatal events such as terrorism, school shootings, suicide, and depression.

“I think the best way to help YouTube get better is for YouTube to regulate tags more. Not too strongly, but there should at least be a human behind the screen, there should be somebody to look at the pictures. There should be somebody watching the videos and see if they are good or bad,” Vigil explained in regards to seeking a solution to regulating content on YouTube.

In response to Logan Paul’s scandal, Vigil commented, “Really it’s just dumb celebrities that manipulate power and I’m talking about all types of celebrities whether it be YouTube celebrities or real celebrities in big TV shows or whatever, I don’t care if they’re in Hollywood or if they’re in the middle of nowhere in Kentucky, if they are a celebrity they tend to manipulate their power. But Logan Paul is a complete idiot to put it simply and his brother Jake.”

Youtube is accessible to the public and may be the main source of entertainment for most people; however, the recent events of Logan Paul and the constant trends of unfiltered, inappropriate content should be considered for regulation in regards to minor viewers.

8 Responses to “Logan Paul Scandal Calls Public Review of YouTube Content”

1. Vivian de Waart on February 9th, 2018 9:56 am

I really liked how you let people know your opinion. It was a very strong article. 🙂

[Reply]

2. Sam... on February 9th, 2018 9:58 am

Thought provoking…

[Reply]

3. Nada on February 9th, 2018 10:02 am

This is a very great story. You guys are doing a great job.

[Reply]

4. Jan Rivas on February 9th, 2018 10:08 am

I hate Jake Paul and mostly what Logan Paul did what something unforgettable and they should be removed from Youtube.

[Reply]

5. Analii Mosquera on February 9th, 2018 10:10 am

I really think this article can knock some sense into people. A perfect example of this would be of the Logan Paul video. Many people took it offensive and the outcome was very ugly. So I believe this article is helpful and will make others understand why they should be careful what they post or see on the internet.

[Reply]

6. Alison Howard on February 9th, 2018 10:13 am

I love how different this article is, yet it is so relevant! Those memes and offensive videos are normalizing violence in young adults and it needs to be talked about.

[Reply]

7. Victoria on February 9th, 2018 10:22 am

Nice post. I really enjoy the effort put into it.

[Reply]

8. Mason on February 9th, 2018 10:32 am

This is a very important topic. I like how well organized it is and the writer did an excellent job.

[Reply]

• Logan Paul Scandal Calls Public Review of YouTube Content

DVC News

Accessibility Within Metro

DVC News

Welcoming Metro

DVC News

DVC At NACAC College Fair

DVC News

SENIOR CLASS OF 2018: COMMITMENT DAY

DVC News

Denim Day at DVC

DVC News

The Time Has Come

DVC News

You Want To Go Green? Well, Here’s How!

DVC News

The Drive You Feel

DVC News

March For Our Lives

DVC News

CD: The Foundation of DVC Culture?