Punk Rock Lives On

Back to Article
Back to Article

Punk Rock Lives On

Punk rock will never be dead as long as these “outcasts” live.

Sophia Szekely and Staff Writer

Mosh pits, loud music, sweaty teens, and the desire to be different. Even those who don’t consider themselves to be punk can understand what it’s about.

“It can be incredibly diverse,” said Jake Pavlica, the drummer for Street Play, a punk band from Venice. “Its really cool seeing diversity in not only music but art.”

The Punk Rock genre first developed in the 70s where the rejection of mainstream rock was recreated into something social outcasts could enjoy. The punk rock genre takes its roots from “Garage rock,” a genre in which musicians played in their own homes or spaces, also known as ‘garage bands’. The new genre at the time consisted of brief, hard-hitting songs that were produced through independent record labels.

The common theme of most punk rock music is rebellion. Popular punk bands such as the Ramones and The Sex Pistols produced songs that fit the stereotype. Street Play is one of the rising punk bands who doesn’t follow the stereotype. The band’s members are Jenna Reynosa, the lead singer and guitarist, Jake Pavlica, the drummer and “Razz” also known as Ash Chavez, the bassist and back up singer.

“From what I have seen and what I’ve gone to, it’s really cool to see all the different people that are there and you don’t have to be a musician to identify or to be a part of it,” said Pavlica.

In the punk rock community, there are many different people and different experiences. “We used to go to my friend’s backyard and go to a bunch of punk shows,” Reynoza mentioned, “that was the first time I really saw garage bands playing and it really made me want to start a band more than I already did.”

Elizabeth Gonzales, a junior at DVC, considers herself to be more indie than punk. When asked if she had ever been to a punk show, she responded with a simple yes. She continued, “I like the people because they were genuinely living in that moment.” Gonzales listens to punk bands Fidlar, The Buttertones, The Growlers, The Frights, and Surf Curse.

Ashla Chavez, the bassist for Street Play, expressed that she loves the punk community. “I like how they integrate so many forms of art into this one scene under this one music genre where everyone can kinda express what they want to with no boundaries,” she said. “It’s honestly probably the most welcoming scene in Los Angeles that I’ve experienced.”

There are many different kinds of people no matter where you look. The punk rock genre is another opportunity to be in a select group of people who have the passion for what you care for and to be different from the rest.

About the Writer
Sophia Szekely, Staff Writer

Sophia is a Senior at DVC. She helps lead the Pink and Lavender club and is passionate about animals, poetry, and music. Writing for the Vitruvian Post...

6 Responses to “Punk Rock Lives On”

1. Frankie FitzGerald on February 9th, 2018 9:53 am

I really like this article because it talks about a community of people and a genre of music I belong to this really is amazing

2. Trevor J Ward on February 9th, 2018 10:04 am

This is so true. Punk is awesome.

3. Enrique Marquez on February 9th, 2018 10:05 am

Good work!!

4. Martina Flores on February 9th, 2018 10:09 am

I truly enjoyed reading your article. It was really interesting and I love that you were able to get meaningful quotes from this band.

5. Liz G on February 9th, 2018 10:10 am

I like how you talked about the origins of punk and interviewed a band that might not be worldwide known but are still are such an important part of what punk groups represent.

6. Giovanni A Leal on March 23rd, 2018 12:54 pm

I like how you chose to review this, punk rock is very underground and not many people know about it but the stereotypical ones like the Ramones and Greenday, I’m glad there’s a good list you mentioned of bands that I would like to listen to, I play music and punk was the pretty much the fundamental of what I ever played, its energetic and I get the grimy vibes from doing it which is very tight

• Punk Rock Lives On

DVC’s LGBTQ+ Community

• Features

The Stress Of Senior Year

• Punk Rock Lives On

Peer Mentors

• Punk Rock Lives On

Election Updates

• Punk Rock Lives On

Nanowrimo

• Punk Rock Lives On

America’s Future, Possible Results From Midterms

• Punk Rock Lives On

How much do you really know about your district’s representative?

• Punk Rock Lives On

Swing States and U.S Territories Impact on Elections

• Features

Millennials in the Age of Trump

• Features

Students Response To Kavanaugh Selection