• May 2Fire and Ice Dance Showcase! Blackbox Theater, May 17

• May 2FREE DVC Star Wars Movie Night! May 4!

• April 20Seniors: Return your PROM CONTRACTS by MAY 11!

AI Robots: A Helping Hand To Our Working Society

Photo provided by BecomingHuman.Ai.com.

Photo provided by BecomingHuman.Ai.com.

Photo provided by BecomingHuman.Ai.com.

Jimmy Martir, Staff Writer

Robots designed to assist in improving the convenience of major companies such as Google, Samsung, Amazon, and others around the world. Currently, artificial intelligence is making its way into our working capacity.

Robots have been advancing continuously over time and are now even in some of our local stores. Early robots, created by George Duvol of New Jersey in 1954, were used for carrying hot pieces of metal that human workers couldn’t.

Hotels all over the country are trying to get their hands on robots to work as assistants. Some hotels in Los Angeles have already adopted the robots as manual labor. According to an interview with the New York Times, Tiffany Jassel, a manager at H Hotel Los Angeles stated, ¨It’s a great time saver for our team because no one has to leave their station to make a delivery.¨ They make service deliveries and front desk deliveries. Some of the robots are designed differently to complete different tasks.

According to MIT Technology Review, Walmart is deploying their AI robots at some of their store locations. These AI robots are designed to identify any item out of stock, missing labels, incorrect prices, and availability. This AI robot is able to do all this within an 80-foot range in two minutes. After the robot collects its data, it sends the data to the Walmart employees so they know what action needs to be taken when an item is out of stock. This robot is only two feet with an extendable tower to look higher up to 6 feet.

The robots at Walmart are an experiment and after receiving feedback from the customers and employees, Walmart has decided to expand the program and are sending robots to 50 more stores.

According to ABC news, a cafe in Tokyo, Japan has a robot that makes coffee. This robot’s name is Sawyer and greets customers in the cafe. Sawyer is designed to take a ticket from the customer, which is purchased from a vending machine and entertain you while your drink is prepared. Sawyer is able to serve 5 people at a time and could make 6 drinks at once as well.

As far as robots in our community, Da Vinci Science has their own Robotics Team which creates and codes their own robots. Joy Uehara, a Da Vinci Science student who is a part of the Robotics Team, said “We make a new robot every year for the game released in early January. We analyze the rules, make a design strategy, design, manufacture, assemble, wire and code the robot in about 6 weeks then compete with it in the following months.”

David Uehara, Joy’s brother who is also a part of the Robotics Team said, “I code robots based on motors and pistons. We build robots that are created to complete specialized tasks.” Uehara continued mentioning the challenges that he has faced. “ I have had trouble with the autonomous period. Tuning the robot and getting it to follow a path quickly has been a challenge.” When asked if robots should be more prominent in the world, Uehara stated “I feel that could be too much. We have to learn how to do things ourselves.”

These robots represent technological advances in our society that are important and have much value when it comes to helping us complete tasks that we otherwise couldn’t or that would be tedious for humans to do.

2 Responses to “AI Robots: A Helping Hand To Our Working Society”

1. andrew cogis on February 9th, 2018 9:59 am

i like this article is detailed and a cool subject

[Reply]

2. Keyarre Hawkins on February 9th, 2018 10:08 am

I really like this story even though robots are not really a major interest to me its nice to know some information about them and how they are evolving.

[Reply]

• AI Robots: A Helping Hand To Our Working Society

Humans of Metro

Celebrating Earth Day

Beyond the Festival Grounds

End Of School Year Struggles: Fighting Procrastination

Caught Up in the Moment

This is What Democracy Looks Like

A Way of Life at Artlife Gallery

Girls Who Code: Closing the STEM Gender Gap One Summer at a Time

With Growth and Expansion, Will DVC’s Culture Remain the Same?

Love Is In The Air