• May 2Fire and Ice Dance Showcase! Blackbox Theater, May 17

• May 2FREE DVC Star Wars Movie Night! May 4!

• April 20Seniors: Return your PROM CONTRACTS by MAY 11!

NFL Postseason, The Philadelphia Eagles Shock The New England Patriots With Their First Super Bowl Win 41-33

Photo provided by the Super Bowl 2018 by Necessary Roughness: Championship Weekend

James Skinner, Staff Writer

The 2017-18 NFL season ended in an astounding way – the Philadelphia Eagles conquered the New England Patriots after Tom Brady’s long pass to tight end Rob Gronkowski fell short. Now, it’s time to remember the highlights during the late season.

Both teams had an exceptional showing, each combining for a record-breaking 1,151 yards. The New England Patriots with 615 and the Philadelphia Eagles with 538.

The Patriots kept the score close in the first half of the game trailing the Eagles 13-9. The game remained close for the entire contest with continuous scores from each team’s offensive weapons.

Isaiah Cornelius, a current senior at Da Vinci Communications, and longtime Philadelphia Eagles fan commented on his team’s performance, “Our offense performed really well against the Patriots’ defense. Our defense in the first half was good, but in the second half, we were struggling.”

The Eagles defensive end Brandon Graham saved the day with his late-game sack on Tom Brady to give the Eagles the ball with two minutes to go.

“I was really proud of him, he really stepped up, and that was the only sack of the game too,” Cornelius added.

This play really crushed the Patriots hope of a late comeback as Eagles kicker Jake Elliott made a 46-yard field goal kick to increase the lead to eight points with one minute and five seconds remaining in regulation.

The last play of the game came down to a 50-yard hail mary from the hands of Tom Brady to tight end Rob Gronkowski, putting both teams’ championship title on the line.

Jeremy Williams, a current freshman at DVC provided his thoughts on the strategy, “I feel like that wasn’t a good play, they could have chosen to do a play action, that would have worked to get them some yardage.”

“But that hail mary, I felt like the Eagles were expecting it so they put their defense down far and they just pretty much trapped them,” Williams added.

Unfortunately for the Patriots, the hail mary would fall incomplete, and the team would miss their sixth championship title. As a result, the Philadelphia Eagles would get their first Super Bowl win in Franchise history, and their second string quarterback Nick Foles got to take home the most valuable player trophy.

This win for the Eagles means that they successfully completed their 2005 Super Bowl rematch against the Patriots when they lost 24-21.

How did they make it to SB52? :

The Philadelphia Eagles pulverized the Minnesota Vikings 38-7 at home, this loss left Minnesota in utter shock after their spectacular 61-yard game-winning touchdown pass score to pass receiver Stefon Diggs with ten seconds remaining in regulation against the New Orleans Saints in the divisional round.

Andrew Daramola, the current 10th grade World History teacher at DVC, and Minnesota Vikings fan described the flow of the game. “The first quarter the Vikings went up 7-0 pretty early, and I was like, it’s going to be a competitive game, then you know the Eagles tied it up and I was like, ok.” He said. “You just saw the collapse happen by halftime, that was the tough part.”

The Vikings simply failed to execute anything they succeeded in all season long from third down stops to finding pass receivers Stefon Diggs and Adam Thielen, who combined had just ninety-eight yards from scrimmage. The defensive stats were utterly subsided.  

“It’s sad you know, because we had one of the strongest defenses in recent history, and we ended up just totally collapsing,” Daramola remarked.

On the other side of the ball, Philadelphia had an entertaining showing gaining 350 passing yards with three touchdowns from Nick Foles. And 110 rushing yards and a touchdown from LeGarrette Blount.

The AFC championship game between the Jacksonville Jaguars and the New England Patriots ended in the worst way possible for the Jaguars, as Tom Brady worked his magic again and led his team to yet another comeback in the fourth quarter to overcome the Jags 24-20. The end results had both Jaguars quarterback Blake Bortles, and rookie running back Leonard Fournette in tears.

Andre Madison, a New England Patriots fan, commented on the outcome. “I thought that they blew a good opportunity,” he said. “Before going in I knew that they didn’t have a chance to beat the Patriots and they’ve shown themselves to be a team that has a lot of potential with a lot more to go.”

The NFL season may be over, but now we look to the upcoming draft to see the next class of future NFL stars beginning Thursday, April 26, 2018.

5 Responses to “NFL Postseason, The Philadelphia Eagles Shock The New England Patriots With Their First Super Bowl Win 41-33”

1. Melanie Arabia on February 9th, 2018 9:54 am

great story.

[Reply]

2. William Webster on February 9th, 2018 9:56 am

Nick Foles is a god

[Reply]

3. Brandon Moreno on February 9th, 2018 10:11 am

This was a good paper. It gave a good summary of the game and a good opinion from the Eagles fan.

[Reply]

4. Zoraiz Hashmi on February 9th, 2018 12:07 pm

I really like this article on how you not only explained how the Eagles got to what they became. It was also cool how you got quotes from people as well. Great job!

[Reply]

5. Efrain Gutierrez on March 2nd, 2018 11:41 am

This superbowls was one of the best superbowls that I ever watched. Eagles really improved over the past season. Foles really stepped up as a second string quaterback. Hopefully they can keep working in the offseason and continue to win championships.

[Reply]

• NFL Postseason, The Philadelphia Eagles Shock The New England Patriots With Their First Super Bowl Win 41-33

Entertainment

It’s Their Thing

Entertainment

Living in One of The World’s Most Lively Cities: A Resident’s Guide to L.A.

Entertainment

Why am I a Hoe and You’re a Pimp?

Entertainment

What DVC Students Are Wearing

Entertainment

Black Directors Taking Over Hollywood

Entertainment

There is More to Art than Meets the EYE

Entertainment

Rise of the Black Panther

Entertainment

Grown-Ish: The Modern “A Different World”

Entertainment

Film Review: Justice League

Entertainment

Rap Pop Punk Emo Rock n’ Trap