Addressing Gun Reform After Parkland, Florida High School Shooting

Back to Article
Back to Article

Protest taking place in Pittsburgh for Parkland shooting.

Janae Polk, Editor-In-Chief

School is home to learning; an institution where a student should be able to seek their curiosities and allow their inquisitive sides to beam. No student, at any school whether they are labeled “unteachable” or “far behind” should expect to fear for their lives. As students sit at their tables discussing legislature, functions, and motifs of literature they shouldn’t anticipate the sonorous, threatening sound of gunshots.

In Parkland, Florida, February 14, 2018, at 2:19 pm, Nikolas Cruz, opened fire at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, rendering 17 deaths and leaving 14 wounded.

Aside from the logistics of the shooting, students have gathered to not only mourn those who had been killed in what is known as the “second deadliest mass shooting” in the United States but to bring their voices in unison to battle the current regulations and laws operated to mandating gun control. News sources have been compiled with the enraged, grieving survivors and the parents whose children’s lives were lost in the horrific event.

There has been inaction from politicians that keep the incumbents of this country in a great place of frustration, especially the students who survived the shooting. There have been organized marches of resistance against guns and students even made their way to the capitol to confront lawmakers demanding restrictions on lethal artillery, such as the AR-15 Cruz used in his detour.  

A mom of one of the students who didn’t survive spewed her outrage towards President Trump who she believes is to blame for the growing culture of a school shooting. She suggested detectors be placed in front of every school, which can be comforting solutions to those who have been deeply affected by the shooting, but this act has unveiled one of the most controversial matters in politics: gun control.

“I would say the government has been inactive rather than passive. There hasn’t been a ton of forwarding movement on gun safety, ” said Robert Allen, the Government and Economics teacher at DVC.

There is no one in this country besides our president and the government who can formally gather to decide on how to reduce the violence endorsed by dangerous weapons. As a student of Da Vinci Schools, I’m taught to understand that it will take more than a law to deter gun crimes. The second amendment to our U.S. Constitution gives Americans the right to possess a gun and it’s difficult to change the Constitution. However, with the growing attention and imminent threat of gun violence in schools, it should be clear that something needs to happen instantly.

There has been an ongoing debate on how the government should handle issues that deal with firearms. Of course, it’s obvious that it would be nearly impossible to detect everyone who obtains a gun illegally but there shouldn’t be a second thought to who should be able to purchase one or not.

What’s perplexing is the fact that the shooter, Cruz, was 19 with possession of an AR-15, a highly lethal weapon, an arm that could be used in military combat. The mere fact that he had access to a weapon so destructive is enraging.

A common issue throughout our country is that we place little to no concern on issues that can entail real damage. Most politicians take a look at gun violence and think they’re dealing with a common illegal right turn at a red light. Gun violence is a true issue and is something that shouldn’t go unnoticed or evaded. It’s unfortunate that yet again families have to grieve the lives lost in a terrible school shooting that should never happen.

Far too many lessons should have been learned from Columbine to Sandy Hook Elementary.

As the flames are still in touch, President Trump has made the “ingenious” idea of providing teachers with handguns and rewarding them with bonuses. Not only will this prove itself ineffective in the long run, it will continue to perpetuate the normalcy to carry guns even when not needed and create an environment more dangerous than what is already present.

Regarding Trump’s idea of teacher weapon training, Allen stated, “I didn’t sign up to be a teacher to have a gun. I’m in favor of safety and keeping my students and faculty safe, but I think there are effective ways we can work towards the root of the problem such as community building and who has access to a gun.”

Most students wouldn’t agree with Trump’s proposal either. “You can’t fight guns with more guns,” Destiny Feyijimi, a senior at DVC commented.

Pairing a negative with a negative won’t result in a positive; guns are a right to everyone but it takes a matter of common sense to understand that their presence is threatening to everyone, regardless of context. The line needs to ultimately be drawn between who can possess a gun and who can’t. This will create a plethora of loopholes, however, it can save schools from ultimate disaster.