Minorities Rejecting Their Own

Photo Provided By: Updated pride flag; All races together

Erica Bentley, News Editor

According to research by FS magazine, 80% of black men, 79% of Asian men and 75% of South Asian men have experienced racism in the gay community. People of color in the LGBT+ community are neglected and underrepresented even though they suffer the same reality.

The culture of minority families centers on an idea that men in the Black community strictly need to live up to their  “masculine”  standards. The definition the African American “manly man” that all of these men were raised with was that they had to have a woman at home, a nice career, and children. Anything otherwise was seen as lesser or feminine.

“It’s the same thing if you like the same sex as you, you have to fit in this box and we’ll make you the opposite sex just so we can cope with it,” Jane Earle, the co-president of the Pink and Lavender and senior at Da Vinci Communications (DVC) remarked.

In Pink and Lavender, an LGBT+ supportive club at DVC, it was discussed that coming out, in general, is something that is nonsensical in this day in age. It is unfair that people of the LGBT+ community have to come out since people who are straight don’t have to.

As of now, it should be known that a person’s sexual preference doesn’t reflect their personal attributes. It is, however, difficult to believe that while we’re now able to love who we want, ethnic minorities are still being oppressed in a community that has gained social acceptance.

Many may wonder why one minority community would oppress another minority community, and the answer isn’t transparent. The occurrence of minority homosexuality representation in films is seldom but is recently apparent in Moonlight.

Moonlight was a film in which a young African-American gay male grew up while experiencing the very real hardships of being a gay black man from his childhood to young adulthood.

This movie was a large step in terms of movies with a homosexual African-American male lead. Though this is making huge strides, the LGBT+ community still has discrimination within the community.

The reason white LGBT+ people may turn to racism is simply projecting their oppression onto the next scapegoat readily available to take the lashes that these people may be feeling for their sexuality.

LGBT+ are more likely to be targets of hate crimes than any other minority group. If this is the reality, then it is reasonable to be concerned that LGBT+ people who are ethnic minorities are being oppressed within the minority group as well.

According to the Haeyoun Park and Iaryna Mychalyshyn, writers for the New York Times, nearly a fifth of the 5,462 so-called single-bias hate crimes reported to the F.B.I. in 2014 were because of the target’s sexual orientation, or, in some cases, their perceived orientation.

These minorities within a minority group are suffering the most discrimination they have ever experienced because of the color of their skin and who they love.

It’s absurd to reject a Black, Latinx, or Asian person in the LGBT+ community for all the suffering their ancestors went through to give their family a good life.

People need to learn to accept everyone. The LGBT+ community loves who they love, and there is no problem with loving people. Since the LGBT+ community usually promotes love, they should be certain they are implementing it within their community as well as to other people.

8 Responses to “Minorities Rejecting Their Own”

1. Reese on December 1st, 2017 9:59 am

I think this article is so important especially in this age. Racism is such a huge topic and writing about it really shows what people don’t notice. This article was amazing, keep up the great work!!!

[Reply]

2. Vivian de Waart on December 1st, 2017 10:00 am

This is very interesting! I admire you for choosing this topic and writing about it. I agree that we need to learn to accept everyone.

[Reply]

3. Zoe Fontenot on December 1st, 2017 10:00 am

I thought the article was very powerful. I really loved that you talked about a topic that is extremely taboo in minority groups.

[Reply]

4. Jane Earle on December 1st, 2017 10:01 am

The concept of basically triple oppression is appalling and this article clearly highlights, underlines, and capitalized the subject. I love that you weren’t afraid to speak on such a taboo subject.

[Reply]

5. Chloe A. on December 1st, 2017 10:05 am

good insight

[Reply]

6. James Skinner on December 1st, 2017 2:40 pm

This article was very informative for me, and I liked how you talked about stereotypes in the LGBT community.

[Reply]

7. Sophia Szekely on December 1st, 2017 2:41 pm

Thank you for educating me and everyone who read this article about the racism that happens in the LGBT+ community. Super educational!

[Reply]

8. Diego M. on December 1st, 2017 2:46 pm

I loved this article I can see how minorities are not treated the way they want to be treated and how this should change because of the racism in the gay community is really unnecessary.

[Reply]

• Minorities Rejecting Their Own

Opinion

Why we chose an HBCU

• Minorities Rejecting Their Own

Opinion

Are the Crazy Sales Really Worth It?

• Minorities Rejecting Their Own

Opinion

Healthcare is a Human Right

• Minorities Rejecting Their Own

Opinion

Only Read if You Have an IQ of 200

• Minorities Rejecting Their Own

Opinion

The “Magic” Bean

• Minorities Rejecting Their Own

Opinion

Our Responsibility

• Minorities Rejecting Their Own

Opinion

Fast Food Isn’t the Best Option

• Minorities Rejecting Their Own

Opinion

The Kardashians’ Biggest Scandal Yet

• Minorities Rejecting Their Own

Opinion

Confederacy Is DEAD

• Minorities Rejecting Their Own

Opinion

Rage, Hate, Violence: Racism