Putting a Pause on Puppy Mills

Photo+provided+by%3A+Pet+Health+Zone.+cat+and+dog+relationships+
Photo provided by: Pet Health Zone. cat and dog relationships

Jimmy Martir, Staff Writer

On October 13, 2017, California became the first state to require pet stores to sell rescue and shelter animals.

Pet stores were previously selling animals from breeding facilities that had terrible health conditions until Jerry Brown, California’s governor, enforced bill 485– making it legal for California’s pet stores to sell rescued and sheltered animals.

This law will take effect on Jan 1, 2019, with a $500 fine if the pets who are sold weren’t from a rescue animal shelter. Before Brown announced this, Los Angeles and San Francisco already had similar prohibitions.

This law was enacted to eliminate puppy mills, facilities in which dogs are bred constantly. The main issue with puppy mills is how the animals are terribly managed. If the female dog can’t breed any further, puppy mills will euthanize the female dog because they believe the dog is no longer beneficial to them.

Pet stores are mostly concerned with how this law could potentially affect their business sales considering the popular breeds. They also believe selling puppies from rescue animal shelters will cause a reduction in the number of stores they will have.

The Puppy Mills Project, an organization dedicated to fighting animal cruelty, stated in their website that puppy mills started around 1966 and there is currently an estimate of 10,000 mills in the United States, which include licensed and unlicensed mills. Also in 1966, The Animal Welfare Act was signed into law. The Animal Welfare is a law that regulated animal research, experiment, and exhibition.

According to the Mills Project, every year two million puppies are being bred over the United States, and around 1.3 million puppies are euthanized in shelters each year due to the overpopulation of shelters.

ASPCA, the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, note that puppies are contained in metal wire cages surrounded by mud which results in an illness  Soon, the mud covers all over them resulting in an illness when these dogs breed. The metal wire of the cages inflicts multiple lacerations on the dog’s paws and legs; in some cases, their entire body is scabbed caused by their resting on the metal wire.

Along with ASPCA, The Humane Society, a US animals protection organization, also agrees with the new bill. They feed animals and fight animal cruelty such as abusive and breeding facilities.

“The environment of puppy mills is really terrible. Not all puppies get to be sold, so they’re stuck inside a cage,” said Pearl Gonzalez, a junior at DVC. “Now with the new law, a lot of dogs inside shelters will be taken to pet stores to be adopted or sold. I also feel people visit pet stores more than shelters”.

Although they aren’t humans, these dogs respond to the same stimuli, so they know when they are being harmed. While these puppy mill owners are making a profit off of the physical expense of a dog, they are encouraging the torment of a living creature, which is cruel.

Numerous animal advocates hope that this law will encourage other states to follow along and ban puppy mills. It’s crucial that these puppies are taken out of these mills, their bondage can extremely harmful as they conditions of these mills are neither sanitary or comfortable.

15 Responses to “Putting a Pause on Puppy Mills”

1. Vivian de Waart on December 1st, 2017 9:55 am

I thought that this was super interesting! I had no idea that they did this! Super well written.

[Reply]

2. Jolie Gomez on December 1st, 2017 9:57 am

This was very well written

[Reply]

3. Nolee Bugarin on December 1st, 2017 10:01 am

This is very sad! Great job.

[Reply]

4. Monica on December 1st, 2017 10:01 am

I think this was a good topic to talk about. A lot of people love puppies.

[Reply]

5. Mason Zetina on December 1st, 2017 10:02 am

This is a very interesting topic and I’m glad I read about it.

[Reply]

6. andrew cogis on December 1st, 2017 10:03 am

I felt that this article was very entertaining and it helped me understand how dogs are treated in an abusive way.

[Reply]

7. Keyarre Hawkins on December 1st, 2017 10:04 am

I feel that this article really opened my mind and helped me understand what really happens to dogs. Meaning the way that they put them down and the way that they abuse them.

[Reply]

8. Laura Chase on December 1st, 2017 10:06 am

Cool article! In my bio class, we watch a BBC documentary that shows how selectively breeding purebred dogs causes them to have lots of genetic diseases and health complications. I am hoping that this law will help make pets more genetically diverse and healthy! Do you know how the government plans to regulate this law?

[Reply]

9. Katie on December 1st, 2017 10:09 am

I love how you chose to talk about puppy and animals because animals are like us humans well amazing job on your article .

[Reply]

10. Sophia Szekely on December 1st, 2017 2:27 pm

Amazing article and the only thing pet stores should be worried about is giving homes to deserving animals. Every dog deserves a home!

[Reply]

11. Ula on December 1st, 2017 2:28 pm

Good job SlimJim on your article, you definitely improved, i love how you talked about the things that happen to puppies when no one basically shows love towards them, and how animals are much like humans in a way.

[Reply]

12. Samin Champion on December 1st, 2017 2:30 pm

I really love how insightful and well researched this article was. I didn’t even know this was something that was happening, nice article, Jimmy.

[Reply]

13. Martina Flores on December 1st, 2017 2:32 pm

Good job on providing us more insight on the cruel practices against dogs, I’m happy to know that puppies will not have to go through this anymore soon

[Reply]

14. Diego M. on December 1st, 2017 2:37 pm

This article really shows how to protect animals (puppies) in a way people can understand and agree with the law to eliminate puppy mills.

[Reply]

15. James Skinner on December 1st, 2017 2:53 pm

Nice job with concluding your article. You also included really nice information.

[Reply]

• Putting a Pause on Puppy Mills

DVC News

Fight Against Extinction

• Putting a Pause on Puppy Mills

DVC News

The Season to Serve

• Putting a Pause on Puppy Mills

DVC News

Symptoms of Anxiety Disorder Growing Among Teens

• Putting a Pause on Puppy Mills

DVC News

You Got Spirit?!

• Putting a Pause on Puppy Mills

DVC News

Welcome Home to the New Building

• Putting a Pause on Puppy Mills

DVC News

Stockholm Syndrome! Are you Aware?

• Putting a Pause on Puppy Mills

DVC News

Clubs of Equality

• Putting a Pause on Puppy Mills

DVC News

Parenthood at DVC

• Putting a Pause on Puppy Mills

DVC News

Am I Really Going to Need This?

• Putting a Pause on Puppy Mills

DVC News

The Power of Protest