It Feels Like Home

Photo provided by: Andre Chumko; Consumer NZ: Time for clampdown on ticket resellers.

Vanessa Hernandez, Staff Writer

Two hours filled with laughter, screams, cries, and lots of dancing. The adrenaline flows through the arena, and the lyrics of your favorite songs belt through the audience. Concerts are only two hours, but the experience of attending one can be a form of self-discovery, peace, belonging, and happiness.

In 1952, the first ever rock ‘n’ roll concert was held in Cleveland, Ohio and changed the music industry and live music performances forever.

The Moondog Coronation Ball was held at the Cleveland Arena and sold 100,000 tickets in total. Performances included musicians Paul Williams and his Hucklebuckers, Danny Cobb, Varetta Dillard, and more. This was the start of concerts in the rock ‘n’ roll industry and beyond.

The next band who sold over 100,000 ticket sales was The Beatles, soon followed by Elvis Presley, Sublime, Nirvana, and many other performers we hear about today.

Musicians are quickly becoming more popular and their headline shows are selling out just as fast. From the renowned names in the music industry to upcoming artists, concerts are not seasonal, they happen every day, even as you read this.

There are many elements that compel people to attend a concert, the main one being the experience. The live music, colorful lights, and vibrant album visuals offer a more lively experience than listening to a song through your earphones.  

“There is a big difference. Through your earphones, you find the meaning of a song and you listen to it daily. You bathe yourself in the songs until you no longer can function without them,” Destiny Reyes, a regular concert goer, said.

“But in a concert, hearing something live. Not only are you getting to see your favorite artist perform, feel their emotions, but you feel everyone else’s emotions. And that- well that is powerful, ” she added.

Many people express that concerts make them feel whole and give them the opportunity to create the memories of a lifetime.

Donyae Solo, a sophomore at Da Vinci Communications, said, “Probably one of the main reasons that I go to concerts is probably that you see other people and like the community that loves the person you love to see and so you guys already have a lot in common.”

Those who have not been to a concert may not understand the feeling of the event or even understand its purpose. Sometimes the price of concerts could deter music lovers from attending them.

Jalen Carter, a junior at DVC who has only been to underground concerts, said, “The most I would pay for a concert is around one hundred fifty dollars. Prices just are not reasonable anymore. Especially scalping sites.”

Solo disagrees, believing that the amount of money that you spend on a concert ticket is very equivalent to the experience you have. “If you really enjoy the person, then the money is worth it,” she noted.

Reyes added, “Despite everything people may think, the fangirls, boys, the expenses, the traveling, it doesn’t matter. When I’m in a concert, I forget everything around me. I don’t see the performer as a performer I see them as a close friend. And the people around me, they aren’t strangers, they become family. Being in a concert- it’s like home. It feels like I’m at home. So, yeah. It’s worth it.”

There can be a lot of different meanings as to why people attend concerts and anything can happen. For some, meeting new people and your favorite artist, sharing sweets and tears, holding hands, screaming for every little thing the artist does, and creating new memories, it may all be worth it.

1 Comment

One Response to “It Feels Like Home”

1. James Skinner on November 2nd, 2017 7:25 am

I liked how you included multiple perspectives on concerts and what they mean to them.

[Reply]

• It Feels Like Home

Entertainment

Film Review: Justice League

• It Feels Like Home

Entertainment

Rap Pop Punk Emo Rock n’ Trap

• It Feels Like Home

Entertainment

References in Television: Make or Break?

• It Feels Like Home

Entertainment

Born Sexy Yesterday

• It Feels Like Home

Entertainment

The Purpose of Rap

• It Feels Like Home

Entertainment

Unidos Por Los Nuestros

• It Feels Like Home

Entertainment

Friday the 13th

• It Feels Like Home

Entertainment

Fright Night

• It Feels Like Home

Entertainment

Instagram’s Little Damage

• It Feels Like Home

Entertainment

Latinas Without Limits