• May 24Seniors: Graduation June 12

• May 24Seniors: Grad Night June 1

• May 24Buy a Yearbook from Noel´s Room

Are the Crazy Sales Really Worth It?

Photo provided by Black Friday Shopping the good and the dangers

Rocio Handal Rodriguez, Humans of DVC Editor

We give up sleep, we give up family time, and we give up many other things just to be able to get the discounts on items we’ve been waiting months to buy.

Sales such as Back To School Discounts or Black Friday can make us, the consumers, behave in ways we usually consider aggressive and abnormal.

Sometimes on Black Friday people get shoved down, tasered, and sprayed with pepper spray; all of these circumstances are common occurrences during events like these.

Black Friday has proven to us that doorbuster sales can make customers go crazy. The behaviors that customers possess have gone to such extreme measures that in some cases, individuals have even died.

Take the case of Jdimytai Damour in 2008 as an example. Damour was a seasonal Wal-Mart employee in New York during their annual Black Friday sale; it was during the opening of the store that a stampede of customers occurred and Damour was caught under it causing him injuries that would later result in his death.

While not all accidents are as extreme as death, other types of accidents also occur during Black Friday. For example, some customers or employees end up injured after shopping.

In an incident in Los Angeles back in 2011, a woman was accused of pepper spraying other customers but ended up not being charged because she claimed her actions were only based on self-defense. This means that people can get away with crimes during Black Friday when no one can really prove whether the attack or crime wasn’t self-defense.

Roberto Gongora, a senior at Da Vinci Communications High School, claims to have witnessed these types of behaviors during his experience Black Friday shopping two years ago.

Gongora said,  “I saw a woman carrying a can of pepper spray and just started spraying everyone around her.”

Due to this, he prefers to participate in Cyber Monday, since it gives you the ability to do all the shopping from the comfort of your home. Gongora later added “the deals between Black Friday and Cyber Monday they were a lot similar. There were some objects that were a lot cheaper but I think it was about the same in general.”

Laura Chase, the Chemistry and Biology teacher at Da Vinci Communications, agreed. “For some people, it is worth it because some people plan it out in a very detailed way so that they are able to afford big items like furniture or TV’s or expensive electronics that they wouldn’t be able to afford at a normal occasion,” she said.

During Black Friday one of the most common things that you see is the people lined up outside of stores that have been there since the day before or very early that morning.

Marcus Daniels, a senior at DVC, has experienced this himself. Daniels has gone Black Friday shopping for four consecutive years now; he claims that the craziness of Black Friday depends on the place.

“It depends on what you’re going for. If you’re going for electronics, then its Cyber Monday, but if you’re going for clothing then it’s definitely Black Friday,” he said.

With all the stories that we hear about Black Friday, about all the accidents, the violence, and the craziness that goes on for a discount, it might be best to just wait two more days for Cyber Monday.There are obvious advantages to both events, but it seems like Cyber Monday might be the safer bet when it comes to getting great sales and protecting your safety.

1 Comment

One Response to “Are the Crazy Sales Really Worth It?”

1. James Skinner on November 2nd, 2017 7:37 am

I like how you had perspectives of teachers and students at our school, and you had description of what it is like for those who have not been.

[Reply]

• Are the Crazy Sales Really Worth It?

Opinion

The Final Countdown

• Are the Crazy Sales Really Worth It?

Opinion

Fame Can Influence Fake

• Are the Crazy Sales Really Worth It?

Opinion

This Concerns You Too

• Are the Crazy Sales Really Worth It?

Opinion

The Incompetent Mexico-U.S Border Wall

• Are the Crazy Sales Really Worth It?

Opinion

The Great Divide Between Generations

• Are the Crazy Sales Really Worth It?

Opinion

“My bus broke down!” Is that my fault?

• Are the Crazy Sales Really Worth It?

Opinion

Distractions, Professionalism or Self-Expression?

• Are the Crazy Sales Really Worth It?

Opinion

A Woman’s Womb, A Woman’s Choice

• Are the Crazy Sales Really Worth It?

Opinion

When It Comes to Feminism, Men Also Matter

• Are the Crazy Sales Really Worth It?

Opinion

Addressing Gun Reform After Parkland, Florida High School Shooting