Novel Writing at DVC

Noel+and+students+in+the+10th+grade+working+hard+on+their+novels.+

Noel and students in the 10th grade working hard on their novels.

Alessandra Pacheco, Features Editor

During the month of November at DVC, the 10th grade English class will be writing and completing 50,000-word count novels as a new project. Not only are they getting an influx of creative writing at DVC, but they’re learning more about the great non-profit organization: NaNoWriMo.org.

The organization encourages creativity, organization, and dedication along with time management for all those who participate. The worldwide program is a platform for skilled writers who want to discover aspiring authors who will write the next best novel. ‘Winners’ of this contest get a chance to work with a large publication to review their work.

For students at DVC, creating their own novels is a huge accomplishment. Rachel Andriaceni, a sophomore student participating, said, “I am excited about the project because I’ve always wanted to write something but never had the motivation to do it and now that I kind of has to, it’s given me motivation.”

“I see myself benefiting from this project in the way that I’ll be exploring new types of writing,” she added. 

There are all kinds of ideas and future novels already in the process of coming to life. Macie Legaspi, another sophomore student, said, “I had a dream a few days ago because I had a sandwich before bed and my mind does crazy stuff, that I was a spy after World War III and the Nazi’s were here again. There are a bunch of movie references and stuff. That was my idea.”  

From crazy ideas to excitement and fear about the project, Noel Ingram is definitely ready to see her students shine during this project.  

“This project offers so much freedom for the students and I’m anticipating some really creative work coming out of it,” said Noel Ingram, the 10th grade English teacher. “I know that my students are completely capable of being successful at this, and I’m thrilled to see them realize that they can write more than they thought they ever could.”  

As far as keeping students engaged and well prepared for the project, Ingram said, “I’m going to be tracking students’ progress and celebrating at different intervals. Also, NaNoWriMo offers ‘pep talks’ by famous authors that they upload to their website where the authors talk about their own writing process and provide tips and encouragement for student writers.”

Despite the project’s difficulties, there will be a large group of people ready to support the students through the process.

The project can be continued over time and become a person’s own personal goal later on when the program begins again next year in November. Sophomore student Christian Alfaro said, “From what I know if it does go really well in this month, I might try to continue writing stories.”

This project teaches the students about perseverance with its lengthy requirements, but the students’ final product will be an accomplishment they’ll always remember.