Pink and Lavender

Chloe Abeyta (Left) and Jane Earle (Right), the founders of the Pink and Lavender club.

Sophia Solorzano, Multimedia Editor

September 28, 2017, was the first meeting of the Pink and Lavender club where Jane Earle and Chloe Abeyta, the leaders of the club, gathered information from the history of the LGBT+ community in which they chose their club’s central message, title and colors.

According to Earle and Abeyta, the club’s color pink stands for the color of the Nazi concentration camp triangular badges that were used to identify homosexual male prisoners, a topic they plan to discuss in the future.  

The lavender comes from the women’s liberation movement in the 60s when lesbians were excluded from the women’s movement.

Pink and Lavender is the first pride club here at Da Vinci Communications. The purpose of the club is to create an environment where members of the LGBT+ community and their allies could come together to discuss topics and issues about the community worldwide and locally.  

Earle and Abeyta created this club to channel their passion for teaching the history of the under-representation in the LGBT+ community.

“I was inspired to create this club because when I was in ninth grade I joined a club call the GSA which was the Gay-Straight Alliance club, and they weren’t completely organized,” Earle, the president of the club, said. “So with Chloe, our vice president, we wanted to make a club that was clear about the LGBT+ community.”

The Pink and Lavender club plans to host dances, parties, open discussions with anything that is in the news or on the minds of students, and movie nights.

“I’m excited about the club because I can gain information about a club that has a group of people who have been struggling for years,” Zoe Fontenot, a senior at DVC, mentioned.

In the 1950s and 1960s, the United States was an extreme legal oppressor and placed a societal blockade period on LGBT+ people, who felt unsafe at the time.  

In today’s society, former president Barack Obama spoke with Philip Bump, a journalist from the Washington Post who wrote June National Pride month. He stated, “ Obama declared June as National LGBT+ Pride Month, recognizing gay people and calling ‘to eliminate prejudice everywhere it exists, and to celebrate the great diversity of the American people.”   The law was the first to protect the LGBT+ community and let them celebrate their pride.

“What we really wanted to talk about and develop throughout the club was the history and the struggle of the people in the LGBT+ community because there are so many topics that aren’t taught at school, so to bring them up would be a really great way to inform the students,” Abeyta said.

On the day of the first meeting Rachel Andriacchi, a sophomore at DVC, said that everyone was welcoming.

“I am passionate about raising awareness. There are a lot of people who don’t know a lot about LGBT+ people or who they are,” she added.

Gay Pride is a sense of dignity and satisfaction in connection with the public acknowledgment of one’s own homosexuality. Throughout many years the LGBT community has been fighting prejudice and there is still so much history to be traced. It’s important for the community today to have strong representation so many people can have role models to be inspired by.  

“You don’t have to be gay, lesbian, bisexual, trans, etc.,” Earle said. “We respect other people’s opinions and want to hear different views and debate and be able to have an open discussion about personal situations and what’s on the news or in the media, everyone is welcome.”

Every Thursday in Sarah’s room, Pink and Lavender meetings are held at lunch. The goal of having these meetings is to allow students to feel safe and comfortable talking about events that occurred with the LGBT+ community.