Am I Really Going to Need This?

Photo Provided by

Photo Provided by "Critical Thinking Skills and Images"

Jazmyn Davis, News Editor

Here at Da Vinci Communications, our established motto is that “we do things differently here.” While this motto has been a constant reminder of defining our school, it also means that the students of DVC haven’t had it easy since the beginning of their academic careers.

But is that a bad thing?

As the current seniors are approaching the end of their academic careers at DVC, their motivation, drive, and tenacity have been put to the test. Senioritis, a common phrase that describes the feeling of exhaustion and frustration during one’s senior year, has been normalized that it often makes students slipshod. Even though it’s beginning to slowly kick in, making students feel overwhelmed, next school year, they will see how beneficial the work provided was.

Although it’s safe to say that senior year brings the best and worse out of people, due to the workload, this year will be highly appreciated as students become young adults and enter into their first year of college.

Jennifer’Lynn Johnson, a current senior at DVC feels that “although this year has been stressful so far, as far as college apps and projects go, it has been refreshing to know that I am receiving all of the necessary information to prepare me for next fall.”

It is a known fact that nothing and no one is perfect, meaning even Da Vinci has its flaws. Chase Butler, a former senior at DVC, described her feelings toward her transition to her first year of college as “mostly successful”. Although she feels that DVC prepared her for college in many ways, she expressed how there are many things that needed to be worked on.

“One thing that DVC absolutely needs to do a better job when preparing students for college is to give more quizzes, have students do more readings, and learn how to take adequate notes,” Butler advises. “I definitely think that DVC students are extremely ill-prepared when it comes to math, and for most that’s a setback because you need math to go into any science field.”

Johnson builds off of Butler’s statement explaining how “mastery-based grading is more so a crunch than anything because when college comes around students will not be able to ‘reassess’ or retake something.”

Although this may be true, Da Vinci has done a great job of providing students with adequate resources and communication skills. Sarah Ceja, another former senior of DVC, agrees, “DVC has made me more resourceful in terms of finding more effective ways of getting things done, which helps a lot in college when you’re pressed for time on a lot of things.”

Ceja contends, “DVC did its best job at preparing me for the professional aspects of college. POLs, SLCs, exhibition, and even class discussions helped me become a more confident speaker and listener, which is something that has helped distinguish me from my peers in a lot of classes.”

Despite its flaws, DVC has done a great job of preparing students for the real world, especially when it comes to communication and resourcefulness. So, the next time you think about the reasons why you may need something that is being taught in class, think why wouldn’t you need that skill?