The Hidden Figures of an Overnight Journey

Students arrive to the camp to get ready for overnighter.

Kayla Mitchell, Staff Writer

Coming into any Da Vinci School, the overnighter is definitely one of the most exciting events to look forward to. Many freshmen go to overnighter without knowing the significance behind it. Overnighter leaders do their best to show the freshman what it means to be a student at Da Vinci Communications.

This year we have expanded tremendously by doubling our freshman class and adding five more teachers to our staff, this made the overnighter a completely unique experience.

During overnighter, many freshmen gain something sentimental, while some leave the way they arrived; however, as a united community, we strive to make the freshmen have a positive attitude towards our school values.

Leaders are the first to arrive at the campsite so they can focus on their missions and what they need to accomplish during this eventful week. Ethan Crusik, a junior at Da Vinci Communications and first-time overnighter leader, said, “I was really nervous to lead the new freshmen.”  

“I was asked last minute to go so I didn’t really know who was going or if I was going to have a good time, ” Crusik adds. 

Many overnighter leaders have said that overnighter is definitely a hard task because they are introducing the freshman class to DVC culture and what it means to be a student at DVC. Some people might think that being an overnighter leader means just talking to the freshmen, but there is much more to it. They are given responsibilities that you’ve probably never experienced before, they are ultimately learning how to become better leaders and role models.  

Leaders are not the only ones that contribute to running the overnighter. The teachers and counselors also play a huge role in this memorable experience. They take the time to get personal with students.

Jennifer Barba, one of Da Vinci Communications counselors and first-time overnighter counselor said, “I definitely do think there is a better relationship with the freshmen just because you were able to spend so much time with one another, you were able to meet them and know them individually opposed to just saying ‘hey, those are freshmen’.”

The overnighter is not only a time where students have the opportunity to get personal with their peers, but with their teachers as well. During the overnighter, teachers share personal experiences that they’ve gone through as a high school student. Students get to discover more about their teachers they wouldn’t normally find with a simple greeting around campus. This is a special time where various bonds begin to form.

The overnighter is a time where freshmen are the main focus, and there are various of enthusiastic figures who make the experience lively. Without the leaders, teachers, and counselors, the overnighter would not be as successful and impactful as it always been. 

14 Responses to “The Hidden Figures of an Overnight Journey”

1. Jazmyn Davis on September 22nd, 2017 7:04 am

Kayla, great job on your first article. It is extremely well written and I enjoyed your use of evidence from various sources. You did a great job !! Keep it up.

[Reply]

2. Macie Legaspi on September 22nd, 2017 10:05 am

Great article! I like the way you worded it

[Reply]

3. Taylor on September 22nd, 2017 10:05 am

Had so much fun at the overnighter

[Reply]

4. Jaylinn on September 22nd, 2017 10:05 am

This was a vary good article, as a freshman at DVC this year you really explained everything that we felt really well.

[Reply]

5. Katie on September 22nd, 2017 10:06 am

I enjoyed reading your actric your writing told me everything about the over nighter and also you talked about being a leader isn’t easy and it’s a lot of responsibility to take care of the kids and make sure there very welcomed to our DVC culture and know how we do things at da Vinci communions .

[Reply]

6. Taylor on September 22nd, 2017 10:06 am

The overnighter was so much fun

[Reply]

7. Erica Bentley on September 22nd, 2017 10:06 am

Kayla!!! You did a wonderful job capturing the thoughts and feelings of the leaders for the overnighter. I am so excited to read what you write in the future.

[Reply]

8. Martina Flores on September 22nd, 2017 10:07 am

What a well-written article, you provided so much insight on what the true meaning of overnighter is and articulated it in the best way for people to grasp, especially those who haven´t gone on overnighter.

[Reply]

9. Cady on September 22nd, 2017 10:08 am

Overnighter is such a fun expirence. This was such a very well written article!

[Reply]

10. Mason Zetina on September 22nd, 2017 10:08 am

I like how they asked the leaders about how they felt about the overnighter. Also, I enjoyed reading about what the freshmen would accomplish when they leave the overnighter.

[Reply]

11. Adali Trujilo on September 22nd, 2017 10:48 am

I really love this article because i went to the over night and it was not what i expected. I never imagined it being so fun. It was a great expirience for me because i came to DVC and i did not know anyone . I met a lot of new people ,and i am very happy i went to overnight.

[Reply]

12. Andy on September 22nd, 2017 11:11 am

The student leaders did a really great job on the over-nighter! I’m glad Ethan stepped in at the last minute. He and Amir were really good facilitators in cabin 12.

[Reply]

13. TeeJay Bromell on September 24th, 2017 7:17 pm

Great article Kayla! You rock!

[Reply]

14. Ethan Cusick on October 13th, 2017 11:43 am

I love the article I really feel it explains and recognizes the overnighter as an awesome experience for leaders and students.
    (P.S. Its spelled Cusick)

[Reply]

• The Hidden Figures of an Overnight Journey

It’s Nifty To Be Thrifty

Anything for Selenas

#Metoo

Performance Team

Native American Heritage Month

LA Animal Save: The Truth Behind What Your Eating

Dia De Los Muertos

What It Truly Means To Be An Angeleno

Novel Writing at DVC

A Day in the Life of Natasha Morse