• May 18GLOW CRAZY! Kickback: September 28

Rage, Hate, Violence: Racism

How we should we aspire to be as a human race, the time is now.

Martina Flores/ Janae Polk, Opinion Editor/ Editor-in-Chief

Unlike the rest of the world, America is a boiling pot of culture and diversity and is home to people of all races. This should leave opportunity for people to be more understanding and appreciative of everyone’s culture; however, the increase in racial tensions begs to differ.

Ever since former President Barack Obama was elected in 2008, many conservatives felt that he worsened race relations in America by urging them to consider and comprehend both sides of conflict. They claimed that he “ignited racial fires” by leaning more to one side when racial conflicts arose.

If Obama sparked racial fires or tensions during both terms of his presidency, then President Donald Trump has inflamed the fire within only a few months in office. Donald Trump has normalized the participation in violent hatred towards one another because he refuses to directly mention that there are bigots who choose to target minorities due to their racial ideology.

The footage of the Charlottesville, V.A. march, for example, can be one of the most infuriating things one may experience; the video exhibited nothing but the unsettled scar of racism in American history.

Clusters of Neo-Nazis and KKK members were centering in on minorities and claiming most  as a “criminal.” Our views of an ideal country is a democracy, a nation where we can have the right to voice our opinions; however, it has been permitted for certain groups of people to threaten another to preserve a sense of power that entails nothing but malicious intent.

The sudden uproar of Neo-Nazis and the KKK have portrayed the deep-seeded hatred they have for people who “threaten their superior existence.” In reality,  Neo-Nazis and KKK members should take into consideration that there is no “superior race”.

The idea of white supremacy has no place in a world like ours as we are apart of one race, the human race. The color of one’s skin merely determines the biological factor in identifying a human being’s outer appearance, not who they are, what they think, how they act or feel.

The belief that there is racial superiority has further developed the way people think and act morally. Across social media, people are relentless on insulting one another or creating platforms specifically to target and tear down certain racial groups.

Nicholas Carr, an American writer, presents a phenomenon called “dissimilarity cascades”, in which “we place greater stress on personal and cultural differences”. This suggests that the more we know about each other through social media, the easier it is to dislike one another as “proximity makes our differences stand out”. Carr writes, that the “spread of social media is more likely to create social strife than social harmony.”

This has persisted for too long.

We as a people have grown too comfortable and accustomed to pointing out things that seem sexist, classist, or ageist, but we quiver with unease when something is deemed racist. It’s impossible to label the topic of racism “taboo” when it has been a palpable issue that has plagued the segments of our history.

The march of Charlottesville wasn’t prompted merely from the injunction to tear down a Confederate general model; it displayed itself as a march of pure racial ideology, an issue that is more than often evaded.

The ignorance that has poisoned this country has displayed a horrendous side to various people. It’s simple for people to analyze this world through a scope of life-changing history, but it’s difficult to distinguish between what fragments are false or true, moreover, which is humane or not.

Emitting and attacking people with phrases such as “we’ll kill these people if we have to” and generalizing Black men as “criminals” is the reason why Americans have remained stagnant in the pursuit of racial unity.

In a contemporary society, people need to realize that it’s time to wake up. There is no time for bigotry, this soil is ours too, it’s the Hispanics, it’s the African-Americans, it’s the Muslims, it’s the dreamers, it’s everyone’s.