Little (Big) Adjustments

Noel and Rob have now switched up their classes.

Vanessa Hernandez, Staff Writer

On the first day of school, things kicked off with a great start with new freshmen and teachers. In the first day of school routine, students settled in their advisories first period, reflecting on their summer break memories. As they moved along to their core classes, it was clear that some teachers altered their curriculums; there were new techniques and different teaching methods.

Noel Ingram, the 10th grade English and Yearbook teacher, requires her students to take yearbook not as an elective, but as a mandatory course. “I made the change because I was thinking about further alignment and thinking about how it can support the different pathway classes,” Ingram notes.

Her initial goal for the tenth grade students joining yearbook was that she wanted it to be a way that tenth graders really get involved across campus while building their design, photography, and writing skills.

“I think that it’ll be a lot easier on us,” said Macie Legaspi, a sophomore at Da Vinci Communications High School. “Before it was only ten of us, to have more students join would be more easy flowing.”

Noel wasn’t the only one who wanted to change up her class a bit. Robert Allen, the Government and College Writing teacher for seniors at DVC, has decided to take a different spin on college writing.

“ On one hand, I structure to assist them in applying to college and making a rational, well thought out choice based on research,” Allen said. “On the other hand, I want to do the adulting skills; I want to show them some personal finance.”

Allen believes that the students will love the class. “I think the name can be something that is not a perfect definition of what I necessarily do.”

Dr. Scott Weatherford, the principal of DVC, couldn’t help but support Robert’s goal for the class. “I think his fall semester is going to look very similar to what my fall semester looked like. We both want our students to learn and get a better understanding of how to rationally choose your career and studies.”

Both Allen and Dr. Weatherford have similar thoughts on how the course is going to play out for the senior class and they hope the students will have a positive response to it.

Joyous Sandres, a senior at Da Vinci Communications, spoke very fondly of the class. “It’s good to have him there as a teacher, he keeps us grounded. We get a class full of seniors with different dreams and him to guide us in the right direction.”

When coming into the college writing class, Joy thought it was going to be purely preparing her for college writing, but she was stunned when Allen introduced the class as more of an adulting course.

Along the way, students may see a few more teachers changing a course we once knew, but the culture at Da Vinci always stays the same.

4 Responses to “Little (Big) Adjustments”

1. Trina Umana on September 22nd, 2017 9:58 am

I really enjoy your article on how change is good. It highlights and brings attention to yearbook, and it eases nerves on senior year.

[Reply]

2. Greg Cowgill on September 22nd, 2017 10:06 am

I personally think that we are changing a little too much, trying to fix things that aren’t broken. That’s also why I’m not looking forward to the new building because we will have next to no interaction with the other schools, and I think our interactions with Design make Communications special.

[Reply]

3. Zaid on September 22nd, 2017 10:16 am

I like how the teachers are changing their teaching methods. It makes the students learn more and get more involved which is a factor in getting accepted to a college.

[Reply]

4. Israel Gonzalez on November 2nd, 2017 9:07 am

I like how they’ve changed their strategies and how the students in tenth grade get to learn how to do yearbook.

[Reply]

• Little (Big) Adjustments

DVC News

Fight Against Extinction

• Little (Big) Adjustments

DVC News

Putting a Pause on Puppy Mills

• Little (Big) Adjustments

DVC News

The Season to Serve

• Little (Big) Adjustments

DVC News

Symptoms of Anxiety Disorder Growing Among Teens

• Little (Big) Adjustments

DVC News

You Got Spirit?!

• Little (Big) Adjustments

DVC News

Welcome Home to the New Building

• Little (Big) Adjustments

DVC News

Stockholm Syndrome! Are you Aware?

• Little (Big) Adjustments

DVC News

Clubs of Equality

• Little (Big) Adjustments

DVC News

Parenthood at DVC

• Little (Big) Adjustments

DVC News

Am I Really Going to Need This?