Did You Get Into the College of Your Dreams?

These+are+some+popular+two+year+colleges+among+DVC+seniors.+

These are some popular two year colleges among DVC seniors.

Makaila Conley, Staff Writer

Senior year is stressful as it is and on top of that, it is filled with college applications, a collection of assignments, and finals that are a huge part of your grade.

Tylaina Alford, who was denied from all the UC’s she applied to, was unable to make it into her dream school, UCLA.

Alford expressed that she saw others get into their ideal college and it made her doubt her knowledge and the things she felt capable of accomplishing. She went on to say that she “eventually realized that everyone has their own path [to take], but with hard work, you’ll get to where you need to go.”

Maybe you did not get the grades you wanted during your four years of high school, or the best test scores, or you may have even lacked in extra curricular activities. It’s also possible that you simply did not get into your school of choice due to your choice of major being extremely impacted; there are a plethora of reasons you may have not gotten into your school of choice.

Not to worry, there are many options to choose from if you didn’t get into your dream school, such as community college at Santa Monica college, El Camino college or Berkeley City College and Da Vinci Extension. But maybe you still aren’t sure if you should pursue an education at a postsecondary institution.

Da Vinci Extension partners with UCLA extension and Southern New Hampshire University, and with Da Vinci Extension you can choose to stay one year with only some college units or two years with enough units to transfer to a four-year university.

“I wanted to prove to other people of marginalized communities that it is possible to attend a community college and be extremely successful” expressed by Alford who hopes to become a role model for others in her same situation.

Is getting the College or University experience important to you? Do you feel like you didn’t meet your family and peers expectations of getting into a good school? Or are you confused as to what you should do next after not receiving an acceptance?

Transfer rates are the number of people who have transferred into a four-year university from a two-year college (community college). Here are some of the transfer rates for the fall of 2016.

At the University of Southern California (USC), the percent of students admitted was 27%, and 49% of those admitted were students coming from a California community college.

University of California transfer’s page explains that the transfer rates are used as a “general guide” and that no one should “draw conclusions” from the information since it is “not [to be seen] as a predictor of your chance for admission.”

After going to a post-secondary institution one can choose to transfer into a competitive school or any school of choice.

Alford had also “applied to CSU’s” and settled on attending CSULA. Her parents were proud of her because she was in college. Alford is a first generation college student, and her parents were high school dropouts, so she was “proud of [herself for getting into college] but knew that [CSULA] wasn’t the school for [her]”. Alford would later transfer into Santa Monica College her sophomore year of college and was focused on going to UCLA.

At the University of California Los Angeles (UCLA), they have a 25% admissions rate. Thus, 5,667 out of 22,281 applicants would be admitted to that school. University of California Irvine (UCI) has a 47% admissions rate, which would mean that 9,413 students would be admitted out of the 20,011 students who applied.

When applying as a transfer student to a four-year university, it is typically required of those transferring to have a certain number of transferable quarter units or semester units. The number of units is determined by semester units or quarter units.

Universities all have a max number of units you can transfer into their school, when transferring with your units it seems to be a recurring issue that some units can not be transferred or are not accepted. It is important to make sure your units are transferable to the university you are interested in. If your units are not transferable you will have to retake them, costing you.

At California State Universities the max number of transferable units that they accept is 70-semester units (105 quarter units). 60-semester units (90 quarter units) is a requirement for universities, if the required number of units is not met then you will be denied.

At CSU there are upper-division transfers meaning that if you have at least 60-semester units than you would be considered a upper-division transfer, but if you have completed 59 or less semester units (89 or fewer quarter units) you would be considered a lower-division transfer.

GPA requirements are dependent on the certain school, it is different for residents and nonresidents, at UC’s the minimum GPA is a 2.4 and a 2.8 for nonresidents. At CSU’s the minimum GPA is a 3.0 for residents.

According to the UC admissions page, the basic requirements to transfer into a UC is “two transferable courses in English composition; one transferable course in mathematical concepts and quantitative reasoning; and four transferable college courses chosen from at least two of the following subject areas: arts and humanities, social and behavioral sciences, physical and biological sciences. Each course must be worth at least three semester units (or 4-5 quarter units) and be UC-transferable.”

So far Alford got into: UCLA, UC Berkeley, UC Santa Barbara and UC Riverside

For those who have been rejected should “stay positive and motivated, don’t let anyone determine your path and success because you are capable of doing whatever you please [to do] as long as you have ambition and goals” you will be able to achieve anything you set your mind to.