Trump takes the ‘W’

Josh Villa, Staff Writer

Throughout the 2015-16 election, a few of us have had our doubts about Donald J. Trump.

Okay, a lot of us have, but what might this billionaire, entrepreneur, and real-estate mogul have done to make us feel such a way?

What could he have possibly done to lose the American voter’s trust?

Let’s jump back to June 8th, 2015. Donald Trump announced his bid for the presidency with a speech focused on illegal immigration.

According to Washington Post, Trump believed that “when Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best.They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us.” Trump went on to say that “[immigrants] are bringing drugs [and they are] rapists.”

Before a crowd of 50,000 people and millions tuning in across the country to watch, Trump not only discriminated against Hispanics but he also gained negative attention from his trade partners located along the west coast border.

This was his first serious act of unprofessionalism that America witnessed since the beginning of his campaign.

As a result of this speech on immigration, Trump lost business ties with Macy’s, NBC Universal, and Univision. In the following month, he held a rally in Arizona where he introduced his infamous plan to “build a wall along the southern border,” intended to keep Mexican immigrants from coming to America.

He didn’t stop there – Trump also announced that he intended to make Mexico cover the price of the wall’s construction. Expressing his “well thought out plan”set him down even lower for Latino-Americans to vote for him. The wall proposal would soon become one of the main focal points of his campaign.

Aside from his discriminatory remarks towards different ethnicities and various authority figures, Trump persists with misogynistic commentary.

When interviewed by MSNBC’s Chris Matthews, Trump stated that women who get abortions should be punished. He believes women don’t deserve the right to choose what they do with their bodies.

“Our campaign received more primary votes than any GOP campaign in history. This is a great feeling…. I beat a rigged system by winning with overwhelming support,” Trump said after the official ending of the GOP primary.

Interestingly, Trump was right about one thing: He secured more than 13.4 million raw votes in the GOP primary, more than any Republican candidate in history.

Come election night, quite the opposite occurred from what most of the nation had predicted.

On November 9th, 9:45 PM (PST), Donald Trump succeeded in winning the election with 279 electoral votes, 51 more than Senator Clinton.

When acknowledging the multiple allegations of Trump’s discrimination and bigotry, we were sure Clinton would have won by a landslide.  

Now, countries across the globe are fearful of what their futures will look like because of America’s impact on international economics. I fear for my future along with mass amounts of other high school seniors and college students in our country.

For the next four years, we can only hope Trump does not successfully make any hanus decisions. I am wishful that his time in office is not detrimental for the future of my generation, while students have begun to transition into young adults.

Yes, quite a few of us are disappointed, especially the young women of America, but we must not fuel hatred in regards for our new commander in chief. As American citizens, we need to accept the outcome of the election and work to make the best of Trump’s presidency.